KX Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our KX Community around the world.
KX Community Guidelines

Home Forums PyKX Calling/using a Python function or Class from Q Re: Calling/using a Python function or Class from Q

• simon_watson_sj

August 10, 2023 at 12:00 am

Thanks – I have actually downloaded the linux and docker version of this but just need to get a quiet afternoon to set it up. (and I do have the additional license).

There are a couple of things of interest to me with the ‘insights approach’ that are hazy – in my current setup I use a collection of 3 functions with a load balancer to allow me to throw a query to be processed into elements that can be farmed off and processed by other q processes and I then process the inbound results via .z.po. To set up my load-balancer and q processes I have a bash script that takes flags to determine the precise config. Updating that, I imagine I just swap out each q staring expression for one docker insights startup and ensure they are all mapped to the same file hierarchy?That means if I had say 10 q processes previously, now I have 10 insight docker containers running (not as bad as it sounds – maybe perfect use case for docker in fact).

Also, to run a Developer instance, would I just treat the q prompt generated from a docker insights process as a standard q prompt and just use the standard developer expression in as usual?
    so:

alias developer='source /home/userName/developer/config/config.profile; q /home/userName/developer/launcher.q_ '

Finally, although I am drawn to the contained nature of the dockerised solution over the Linux install (I’m on Ubuntu) but my concern is the loss of processing capability. As I understand it the usual ‘docker penalty’ is about 10% of processing speed over a ‘bare metal’ deployment.

Once I get that afternoon, I will let you know how I go.

Simon