KX Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our KX Community around the world.

Home Forums kdb+ Challenge 4 – World Cup

• Challenge 4 – World Cup

Posted by megan_mcp on March 7, 2023 at 12:00 am

Hi everyone! This week I wanted to try something a little more challenging but I’m going to need a bit of help completing it. Below I have attached a text file containing the goals scored during the World Cup. The data is formatted as;

Player;country;time;

Time represents the minute in the game the goal was scored.

With this data we can produce a lot of different statistics for example;

• Total number of goals scored by a given country
    • Total number of goals scored by a given player
    • List the name of all the players who scored for a given country
    • Total number of goals by all countries
    • Total number of goals scored during the first half (45 minutes)
    • Total number of goals scored during the second half (45 minutes to 90 minutes)
    • Total number of goals scored during extra time (after 90 minutes of play)

For now I just want to focus on the first bullet point.

First I thought it would be ideal to transform the data to table format, then simply count the rows of the country selected;

q)data:flip`player`country`minute!("SSS";";")0:`:goals.txt 
    q)count select from data where country=`Spain 

I also wanted to loop through the text file and print (player + from + country + scored a goal at the + minute + th minute) for each player. Which seemed easy at first but really had difficulty.

I reckoned a function was most definitely needed but couldn’t wrap my head around how to loop not only through the 3 items but then onto the rest of the list.

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated !!

Megan

megan_mcp replied 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Laura

Administrator
    July 3, 2023 at 12:00 am

You can do it through qsql syntax:

exec (string[player],'" from ",/:string[country],'" scored a goal in the ",/:string[minute],:"th minute") from data

Useful information for this can be found here:
    https://subhabratachoudhury.com/p/2016/05/concatenating-kdb-columns/
    If you want to display to console each of these you can put a 0N! each in front of the above exec state.

• megan_mcp

Administrator
    August 3, 2023 at 12:00 am

This is exactly the output I wanted thanks ! Plus that article you tagged is very useful.

q) data:flip`player`country`minute!("SSS";";")0:`:goals.txt 
    q) exec (string[player],'" from ",/:string[country],'" scored a goal in the ",/:string[minute],:"th minute") from data 
    "Gazinsky from Russia scored a goal in the 12th minute" 
    "Cheryshev from Russia scored a goal in the 43th minute" 
    "Cheryshev from Russia scored a goal in the 91th minute" 
    "Dzyuba from Russia scored a goal in the 71th minute" 
    "Golovin from Russia scored a goal in the 94th minute" 
    "Gimenez from Uruguay scored a goal in the 89th minute" 
    "Cheryshev from Russia scored a goal in the 59th minute" 
    "Dzyuba from Russia scored a goal in the 62th minute" 
    "OG from Russia scored a goal in the 47th minute" 
    "Salah from Egypt scored a goal in the 73th minute" 
    "Suarez from Uruguay scored a goal in the 23th minute" 
    "Suarez from Uruguay scored a goal in the 10th minute"...

However when I try putting 0N! each in front of the statement I get a parse error?

q) data:flip`player`country`minute!("SSS";";")0:`:goals.txt 
    q) 0N! each exec (string[player],'" from ",/:string[country],'" scored a goal in the ",/:string[minute],:"th minute") from data 
    parse error

• jbetz34

August 3, 2023 at 12:00 am

Hi Megan,

If all you want is to print these statements, you don’t necessarily need to cast the columns to symbols or save in a table. Try the following one-liner:

{x,” from “,y,” scored a goal in the “,z,”th minute”}./: flip(“***”;”;”) 0:`:goals.txt

By default this prints to the console, so I don’t see why you would need to include the “0N!” .

The reason you are getting a parse error on the “0N! each ” is because “0N!” is an infix function followed by a postfix iterator. You will have to wrap “0N! in parenthesis (see https://code.kx.com/q/basics/syntax/#prefix-infix-postfix). Also worth noting that “0N!/:” will work here as well.  However, I think even this is unnecessary as “0N!” is unary and natively handles a list of strings.