KX Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our KX Community around the world.

Home Forums KX Solutions How to make externally-changed files tracked by Kx Developer

• How to make externally-changed files tracked by Kx Developer

Posted by darrenwsun on June 29, 2022 at 12:00 am

Hi Community,

I have some files that are updated by a script, but the changes are not reflected in Kx Developer. I don’t wish to use Upload Local Files or Upload From Server every time such changes happen (they seem to support only files not folders anyway), or switch to git CLI or any other IDE to check in those changes. Any suggestion?

Thanks.

darrenwsun replied 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • davidcrossey

July 1, 2022 at 12:00 am

Hi darrenwsun,

It wouldn’t be very efficient for KX Developer to continually poll the filesystem for changes, so I presume KX Developer only refreshes it’s view of those files once one of the actions you’ve mentioned has been triggered.

You would almost need your script to also cause an action in KX Developer via a hook.

I’ll reach out internally to see if anyone is aware if this is possible, or if there is another option available.

• darrenwsun

July 1, 2022 at 12:00 am

Thanks David, kindly let me know once you hear back.

I like many of the features from Kx Developer (notably qcumber and qdoc), but it being a web IDE isn’t on the list…

• davidcrossey

July 5, 2022 at 12:00 am

Hi Darren,

Developer has unidirectional change management with the OS. Only changes from the UI are reflected on disk, not the other way around.

The current workflow to edit files outside of developer and have them be changed is git ops.

You clone a separate copy of your repository, make your edits, commit and push. Then within Developer, do the reverse. You pull the changes to see them update in the tree.