KX Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our KX Community around the world.

Home Forums KX Solutions Kx Developer Installation

• Kx Developer Installation

Posted by rkoxx on September 15, 2023 at 12:00 am

Hello, I’m a non-technical user, whose just downloaded he free version of KDB+

Now I’d like to download KX developer to practice  writing some code in etc… and loading some sample tables to play around with.

I’m using a regular Windows laptop.

Is there a video of the install of KX developer on Windows which i can follow or is it a simple case of download, unzip and click on an exe file ?

Second question any data imported and created is it stored on a generic KX server used by the community or is it stored locally on the users laptop ?

Thanks

rkoxx

rkoxx replied 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • laura

Administrator
    September 18, 2023 at 12:00 am

Hi rkoxx,

Thanks for your question! There currently isn’t a video of the install, but that’s a great suggestion for some additional content we could provide in future.

You said you’ve already downloaded q/kdb+ and got your license, so you just need to make sure you’ve got the QHOME environment variable set. More information on that can be found here: Installing kdb+ | kdb+ and q documentation

Once you’ve done that, the easiest way to get started with Developer is to follow the steps here: Getting started – KX Developer for your OS. The steps will be along the lines of: download, unzip, run install script, run launcher and then copy the url into your browser.

Hopefully you find it straightforward enough, but do reach out if you have any issues.

If you’ve downloaded Developer on to your own computer, that is where any data or code will be saved. You have an option to specify where exactly on your system you want to save it during the install.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Laura