KX Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our KX Community around the world.
KX Community Guidelines

Home Forums kdb+ Storage architecture for KDB

• Storage architecture for KDB

Posted by brazil on November 25, 2021 at 12:00 am

Hi,

I am looking for some advice regarding the storage architecture for KDB.

We currently have a physical KDB server attached to a storage array which presents 4 disks to Linux and are then combined into a volume group. KDB accesses the volume group and then stores the data spread across the volume group.

The storage array is going end of life and I am now looking at the best way to present the storage from a NetApp array. We have also built a new virtualized VMWare Server.

Presenting the storage through LUN’s and Fibre Channel over Ethernet is not an option in this scenario.

Ideally, I’d like to present multiple NFS volumes from the NetApp array and mount the volumes in Linux. The advantage with multiple volumes in NetApp is that Backing up the volume can be done directly from the NetApp array, rather than going through the ESX layer and then to the virtualized Linux host.

I’ve been reading about using a par.txt file to combine the Linux NFS volumes so that KDB can simply refence a single database. It appears that data is distributed round robin to each volume.

I’ve got a few questions about the implementation around the par.txt file and whether this is the right approach.

• Are there any options with how the data is distributed across the different volumes? Does it have to be round robin? Can it sequentially fill the first disk and then on to the second disk.
    • What happens when all volumes are full and a new volume is added to the par.txt file? I presume at this point it won’t continue to use round robin as only the newly added volume will have the capacity to add new data?
    • How would I migrate the data from the old KDB server using a volume group to the new KDB server using a par.txt file?
    • If I configure backups to directly backup from the volume on the storage array,  how can I determine which volume the data previously resided on that needs to be restored if the data had been distributed in a round robin method.
    • Are there other alternatives to consider (symlinks) which would be better suited to storage which is being presented as multiple NFS mounts?

I am approaching this more from a storage perspective and have limited KDB knowledge.

Any advice around options would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

brazil replied 3 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply