KX Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our KX Community around the world.

Home Forums KX Solutions 64-bit on-demand KDB License server URL

• 64-bit on-demand KDB License server URL

Posted by darrenwsun on December 17, 2021 at 12:00 am

Hi Community,

I want to play around with 64bit on-demand KDB on my corporate PC, but connection couldn’t be established due to firewall and I saw the below error. To address it I need to get the URL for the license server. Does anyone know what it is?

‘2021.12.15T09:37:27.441 couldn’t connect to license daemon — exiting

Thanks!

darrenwsun replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • leahs

December 17, 2021 at 12:00 am

Hello @darrenwsun

Thank you for sharing this with the community!

The error generated is documented here: KX Licensing – Licensing server for kdb+ On Demand.

This implies that it requires a kc.lic license key file and an always-on internet connection to operate.

Perhaps you are encountering a firewall because you are connected to a corporate WI-FI or VPN? If so, maybe try this when not connected to the VPN.

However, if a constant internet connection is an issue, it is worth noting that 32-bit kdb+ does not have this requirement and would be the suggested workaround.

Kind regards,

Leah

• darrenwsun

December 20, 2021 at 12:00 am

Thanks Leah. My PC sits in a corporate network and I’m pretty sure the issue is due to firewall. I can request a rule update but I need to know the remote endpoint it tries to connect to, which is what I hope to know from the community.

I know 32-bit works without always-on internet, but I do wish to play things around using Kx Developer which doesn’t work with 32-bit version.

• leahs

December 21, 2021 at 12:00 am

Reverting with feedback from our internal licensing admin experts:

“The endpoint is one of the following domains:

*kdbod.com

*kdbod.net

*kdbod.org

Only HTTP (port 80/tcp) is needed to these domains, there are no fixed IPs – though we front the service with more than one CDN provider – their IPs vary both depending on where you use the service and from one moment to the next.

It is recommended the user use a HTTP proxy server if they wish to enforce such restrictions, kdb+/q does honour the http_proxy environment variable. ”

We hope this helps you.

Kind regards,

Leah