KX Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our KX Community around the world.

Home Forums kdb+ Issue with kdb+ License File (kc.lic) – Seeking Help

• Issue with kdb+ License File (kc.lic) – Seeking Help

Posted by chiale2h on December 27, 2023 at 12:00 am

Hello Community,

I am experiencing an issue with my kdb+ installation. Despite having a kc.lic file, which should be a valid license, I am encountering a license error when attempting to run kdb+. The error message is as follows:

'Licence error: k4.lic'

I have confirmed that the kc.lic file is located in the correct directory, yet the problem persists. Here are the steps Ive taken so far:

• Ensured that the kc.lic file is in the $HOME/q directory (or C:q for Windows users).
    • Verified the contents of the QHOME and QLIC environment variables.
    • Attempted to run kdb+ using the command prompt.

Could anyone please advise on what might be causing this issue and how to resolve it? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

chiale2h replied 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • laura

Administrator
    December 28, 2023 at 12:00 am

Hi

The error k4.lic means that kdb+ has not found a license file. Kdb+ looks for a license file in QHOME. If you are keeping your license file elsewhere, set its path in environment variable QLIC.

This posts suggestion might help:
    https://community.kx.com/t5/kdb-and-q/licence-error-k4-lic/m-p/12985/highlight/true#M11076

If you are still struggling can you share what QHOME and QLIC are and also list whats in QHOME.

echo %QHOME% dir %QHOME% echo %QLIC%

Thanks

• voiddump

January 15, 2024 at 12:00 am

I tried multiple ways on my MacBook Pro and my VMFusion (whose environment supposedly is windows 11) but still the error message ‘Licence error: k4.lic’ persists. My folder structure is as below: (The first is that on Mac, the second&third is that on VMFusion).

P.S. I would prefer KDB+ be installed on my Mac instead of on my VMFusion, if possible. But I would also really appreciate it if I can solve the problem on my VMFusion.