KX Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our KX Community around the world.

Home Forums KX Solutions RDB/IHDB/HDB – What is the best way of a copy of the values of an in-memory table?

• RDB/IHDB/HDB – What is the best way of a copy of the values of an in-memory table?

Posted by laura on July 6, 2021 at 12:00 am

Assume I have an RDB (or IHDB / HDB) that has access to a schema called people.

Here is some data you can put on people:

([] sym: `ada`maggie; name: `ada`maggie; age 33 25)

Assume also that I have a function called doSomething that receives the table name as it is argument and performs a series of operations, including an xkey at some point:

doSomething:{[tableName] // blablablah some code r: `sym xkey value tableName; // some more code }

q does not like to perform the xkey directly on value tableName, so the solution I currently have for this is performing a select:

doSomething:{tableName //blablablah some code r: `sym xkey ?[value tableName; (); 0b; ()]; //blablablah some more code }

My question is: is there a better way to get around that or is my solution fine?

Cheers,
    Adriano

laura replied 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • laura

Administrator
    July 6, 2021 at 12:00 am

Hi Adriano,

We’ve had a look at your example and for in-memory tables your first solution appears to work perfectly as long as you are passing a reference into your function.

for example:

doSomething[`tablename]

However if you were working with an on-disk table rather than an in-memory table your solution could be simplified to

q)r:`sym xkey select from tableName

using the select function in order to pull your table into memory first.

Your functional form solution works fine however most people will use q-SQL as it is a more readable format. A where clause can be used alongside the select query to avoid pulling in a large amount of data from disk.

Cheers, 

Kate

• dcrossey

July 6, 2021 at 12:00 am

Hi Adriano,

By “q does not like to perform the xkey directly on value table”, do you mean as follows:

q)`name xkey value people

‘type

[0] `name xkey value people ^

Here, we are referring to the table with pass-by-value and q throws a type error. You don’t need to use ‘value’ if you are referring to a table in this manner (note the lack of backtick).

If you used the ` people with ‘value’ this would have worked as expected (pass-by-reference) :

q)`name xkey value `people 
    name  | age sym 
    ------| ---------- 
    ada   | 33 ada 
    maggie| 25 maggie

In general, I would advise the following syntax for general usage (pass-by-value) :

people:`name xkey people;

Otherwise using pass-by-reference:

people:`name xkey value `people;

Hope this helps.

Best,
    David

• laura

Administrator
    July 7, 2021 at 12:00 am

Hi Kate and David,

Both of your tips were great, thank you very much

It seems I will have to adopt the solution for on-disk tables that Kate suggested because the function doSomething is routed to the IHDB and performs its operations on on-disk tables.

So, when people is an on-disk table, if i try pass by value:

people: `name xkey people

then the IHDB throws a int error message
    if i do:

`name xkey select from people

then the IHDB is happy. Since I won’t dare to change the key of my table on the IHDB, it looks like pulling the values to the memory first is the safest option.

Thanks again!